Monday, October 20, 2008

Euro Trip - Day 1



Paris, Oct 1st.

It was a 7 hour flight from Dubai to Paris on Qatar Airways and I almost wished that it did not come to an end. The in-flight entertainment was superb and the service was good. No adventure getting to Paris. There were two hot European girls in my row but unfortunately they were not seated next to me. Just my luck. But anyway, with the movies and TV series that I had at my disposal it was very unlikely I would give them too much of eye time.

Landed at Paris airport and boy that was a shocker. After being at the Dubai airport I kinda expected this one to be all glorious but it was a big let down. I guess renovation work was underway but I was not prepared for the gloomy look and decade old baggage systems. It took me over an hour before the luggage did arrive and by that time the cold had gotten to me and so I had to make a trip to the john. And that’s when I realized how difficult things would be in Europe. The loos are not equipped with water sprays and you have to make do with toilet paper.

The only consolation was that since I was not going to be consuming spicy Indian curry that prevents the use of toilet paper which is likely to catch fire and necessitates the use of water, the European food may just be the change that I needed. Out of the airport and straight to Bijo’s [my cousin / uncle] [he is actually my uncle but because he is almost my age it’s easier referring to him as a cousin] place for day one of Paris.

Did not have much trouble reaching there, in fact I reached there early and walked about the place familiarizing myself with the key landmarks and grocery stores and pharmacies just in case I needed them. I then met Karine [she is French by birth and Indian by hospitality – if that makes any sense] my sister in law for the first time as well as Lavanya and Nalaini, two angelic looking kids before I was left in charge of them till Bijo returned from work. Bijo walked in a few moments later and gave me a big hug but only after entering the house shouting I have hired a Dubai nanny.

After a good dinner and enquiring about how to move about in Paris I hit the sack and was looking forward to my next day in Paris. I was given the kids room and it was so much fun to sleep on the bunk bed [I have never had one at home] and I really wished I would have had one of these growing up but then Nelson and me would have constantly fought over who gets to sleep on the balcony bed.

1 comment:

B Jo said...

Edda its NALINI
Nice writing style....