Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Advait Weds Gargi - Toast

Addy and Gee,

Ladies and Gentlemen:

Before I undertake the customary duty of giving Addy an uncomfortable few minutes it is part of the official duty of the best man to thank Addy on behalf of the bridesmaids, [all Gee’s pretty friends here who lit up the reception – Andy, Sumana, Louise and all the other names I can’t recollect] for having them play a part of this really special day. I have to say they all look wonderful and have done an excellent job. Indeed they are only eclipsed by Gee herself, who, I’m sure you’ll all agree looks absolutely stunning.

For those who do not know me, know this Addy has been one of the closest friends since we studied together. We did more than that actually. [Hold your horses, it ain’t what you thinking].

When Addy told me he proposed and Gee accepted, my first reaction was that of joy and happiness. Then reality struck me and struck me hard. It means Gee will now be sharing the bed with him and not me, and the house, TV, cupboard and my beloved microwave where we heated many a meal together.

Addy is one of those who is loved by both sexes - Men and women alike. He is adorable, seldom loses his temper, has a good sense of humor [in English, Hindi and Marathi], is very gentle and considerate and is a connoisseur of food. On the subject of food, it was there that Addy began a love affair which still lasts to this day. Hershs, Bandra. Age twenty two, we were ever so excited to make our first visit there and Addy had gone on and on about the place and how the burgers there were the real thing.

Some of you may be aware of his passion for cricket. What many of you don’t know is that his interest in the sport was borne during his time at school. Addy is a modest man - well, that’s what he has insisted I tell you - so his cricket achievements are little known. But I can reveal today that at school, Addy SCORED………… more runs than any other person in the entire cricket team - that was because he was always 12th man putting up the numbers the scoreboard at the pavilion. Jokes apart he is a very good cricketer with a good bowling action and a decent technique. With so many talents which girl wouldn’t be lucky to have him as a life partner?


As for the Gorgeous Gee, I haven’t known her as well as I have known Addy [and isn’t he glad about that], but let me quote what I told Addy the day he introduced me to her. “If she has a younger sister, I’d marry her right away.” To know how deep that compliment goes please know this has come from a guy who does not believe in marriage.

A few words of advice to Addy before I end this long speech,
1, never forget birthdays or anniversaries.
2 buy flowers regularly, but not too often, that it becomes suspicious.
3 keep telling Gee those three lovely important little words. “You’re right dear.”
And 4 and most importantly, make sure you get on with your new mother-in law.

I didn’t say a word to my girlfriend’s mother for nearly 8 months. It wasn’t that we didn’t get on. It’s just I thought it was rude to break her off whilst she talked. Luckily both the stars of today have been blessed with wonderful parents, I experienced Addys parents hospitality when I stayed with him for two months at his place in Mumbai, and Gee’s parents when I visited Cal. Man I am still craving those Rasgullas.

Let me then conclude - Addy you got lucky and make sure you continue to make her feel that way every single day.

Ladies and Gentlemen, To the Adorable Couple



The Toast I raised for Addy and Gee.

No comments: