Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Casabianca

I read an evaluation of Casabianca written by one of my closest friends and she has taken a very philosophical view to the whole poem and has dissected it and related it to life. Her view as someone slightly younger to me appealed nonetheless, and she is a very talented writer. So I am not too sure if I should credit her for her views or for her writing. I credit her for the effort though, because this girl is going places.

THE POEM
Young Casabianca, a boy about thirteen years old, son of the admiral of the Orient, remained at his post (in the Battle of the Nile), after the ship had taken fire, and all the guns had been abandoned; and perished in the explosion of the vessel, when the flames had reached the powder.

TRIVIA
I recited this poem while I was grade 3 at the inter house recitation competition.

VIEW
The same poem made sense to me then in such a different way as it does now. But the one things that remains the same is that I always looked as myself as the boy in the poem. I considered myself fairly obedient and very loyal to my causes be it football or green house [that’s the name of the house, not the green house effect thingy]. Now I find myself fiercely loyal to family and yet at the same time living life on my own terms and condition however anti society or anti establishment that may seem.

The feeling of destruction is one that grips me when I do read this parody. Burning, wreck, dead, flame, booming, despair, wreathing, fragments – they all convey the carnage that took place and yet it does not seem to refer to the environment but more to what happened to that young lad and all that went through his mind as he stood atop the deck.

Depending on what you are going through in life, this poem will make sense to you within that context. If you do get the time, please do read the poem.

No comments: